Power Outages/Downed Power Lines
Residents are advised of possible downed trees and power lines. Report downed power lines by calling 9-1-1 and PGE at 1-800-743-5002. Stay away from the downed powerlines and assume they are energized and dangerous.
Here are some tips:
· Check to make sure you have batteries, fully charged back-up battery packs for your devices, and a battery powered radio.
· Recharge your laptop computer, cell phone, and other mobile devices as a precaution against a power outage.
· Have flashlights with extra batteries for every household member.
· Freeze water bottles or bags of water for food storage if the power goes out.
· Have enough nonperishable food and water.
· Make sure you can open your garage door if the power goes out.
If the power goes out:
· Do not call 9-1-1 unless you are having a life-threatening emergency.
· Call (800) 743-5000 or check the PG&E Outage Map for updates.
· Monitor local news for information and updates - local AM radio stations are a good source of information
· Keep freezers and refrigerators closed.
· Only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
· Do not use a gas stove to heat your home.
· Disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
· Have alternate plans for refrigerating medicines or using power-dependent medical devices.
· If safe, go to an alternate location for heat.
· Check on your neighbors.
If you see a downed power line call 911 immediately AND (800) 743-5002. For more safety information about downed power lines click here.